Saturday, July 09, 2005

Poll update etc

Hmm well so far the poll results are exactly as I expected they would be - 100% of you (all 8 lol) think that a child should be between 10-15 before they would leave them home alone. Of course, this would depend totally on the child, the house, the hours, etc etc - there are so many variables.

I know sometimes circumstances dictate that parents are given little choice. I know that it happens.

In this particular case, it isn't the only option. We have a very family friendly workplace. Both of the parents work in the same department at our company. Management are very understanding and encourage them to alter their hours if they so wish so that someone can be home with their son most of the day; they can work from home if they so wish; and their son is welcome to come into the office, where he will be made more than welcome.

We often have people bringing their children into work - heck we even have a bunch of toys and a play area for them. We don't have a child minding centre though, or a creche. So it is still the parents responsibility to ensure their child is okay.

I really think that the option they are considering (him staying home alone all day) is just the easiest option for them. They can't be bothered with him being in the office around them. I have seen him there, being a typical boy - he will play by himself for a couple of hours and then go see his Mum or his Dad and tell them he is bored and they will just fob him off and make him go back and sit and play quietly. He is also a really shy kid. I have tried chatting to him, playing games with him and he just shrinks and runs to Mum or Dad (seriously I am not that scary!). His parents say "He is like that with everyone - very shy".

They have one car between them, and it is inconvenient for them to alter their hours to work so that one of them is home. They have tried working from home a little but say they find it more difficult because of meetings etc.

Also some time ago I asked her if they had ever considered having another child. She said "OMG No - if I had known what it was going to be like I never would have had this one".

Thank you for voting.
****************

I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend already. I am trying to type with one cat on my lap demanding attention. She is so beautiful though I cant resist her! (and yes I left her home alone when she was just a kitten. LOL)

I have to clean big time today. My mother in law is coming over sometime this weekend. I might start by kicking Hubbs out of bed (yeah I know it is only 9:30am on a Saturday morning but I have to start somewherea). Then I might do the vacuuming, dusting etc. Sounds like a fun day huh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker