Thursday, May 18, 2006

I love people watching

Yesterday I went and had my IUI. Hubbs didn't come with me this time - I think the last time, seeing me hurt so much, really freaked him out, and he couldn't bring himself to be there. I got there early, (about half an hour) so I went for a nice walk down to the shops and window shopped and then headed back. I was still back 5 mins early, and I had to wait 10 minutes until they called me. It is amazing what you see in just 15 minutes.

I saw a couple, going through their first IVF session. He was in his 60's or so, and she was in her early 40's (I am guessing). I wondered about their story and hoped their journey thus far had not been too long. Had they been together and trying for years and years? Had they just met, fallen in love and desperately wanted a baby together? I wondered and silently wished them luck.

Then a couple came in, with a boy of about 4. I saw her go to the desk and say she was there for a blood test. They asked what type of test and she said "HCG and Progesterone" - ahh a pregnancy hormone test. Then she sat down, clung to her husband's hand and said "Did you see it on the screen? You saw it too, didn't you?" with a hesitant smile on her face He just sat there, no smile and said "Yes but it is early days, let's just see".

I assumed from this that were newly pregnant and I wondered what issues they had had in the past to make him so wary of getting excited about it. Was that just his normal nature or had they been hurt so many times that he was trying to protect them both from feeling so hurt again. Sitting there, silently waiting, I felt like crying for them, and I wished with all my heart that her blood test results were good and that this pregnancy continued for them.

Then it was my turn. My nurse was so lovely - extremely compassionate and she went out of her way to make me comfortable. Unfortunately my body remains uncooperative and my cervix was nowhere to be found. She had to get a longer speculum. Tell me, how can someone who is not even 5ft tall have a cervix hiding so deep that I needed the longer speculum? Anyway, take 2 and after a little discomfort we were away. Within minutes it was all over. No pain this time, no crying. Surprisingly, no deep seated sadness either - no feeling that this was just a waste of time. I think this was due to the nurse who made me laugh. together we spoke to the sperm before it was inserted telling it to "go find that egg" and "now listen here fellas - no letting us down this time!" etc. It sure made me feel better.

I had no pain later, no bleeding, nothing. I rested a little then Hubbs took me to a pet warehouse (since we have the aquarium and pet supplies business we get stuff at wholesale prices), and I got new collars for the cats, 20 toy mice, 2 cat brushes and a tunnel extension for Oscar's tunnel system (Yes they are spoilt).

During the night, Oscar chewed through the plastic bag containing the bag of mice, then chewed through the bag of mice and took 3 of them to play with - naughty naughty. I had to laugh though - we had to put them in a drawer at 3am to stop him from trying to get more.

Tonight we are off to the info Session on Adoption and Foster Care. We will hopefully meet up with Mr and Mrs Sassy babe - Yay! That will be so cool - I cannot wait.

p.s. I have been knitting madly (well not as madly as Katt, Leeanne, Cathy and Shell, but knitting all the same) will hopefully have part 1 to show you soon.

8 Comments:

At 5:51 pm, Blogger The Amazing Trips said...

Best of luck with your IUI. I do hope that it was successful, and that you are soon able to use your beautiful blankets on your beautiful newborn. Or ... newbornS. You never know ... :)

 
At 10:06 pm, Blogger ColourYourWorld said...

I love people watching too, I enjoy making up their life stories in my head.

I have everything crossed for you !

 
At 11:02 pm, Blogger J said...

Hey - I'm glad this IUI was pain free. That's probably a really good sign (cervix open, etc)

I too, am barely 5'3 and need the longer speculum. In fact, I ask for it before they begin, to avoid having to insert one twice.

Good luck!

 
At 11:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was very cool to meet you and your hubby. I hope you had a good night but never have a reason to make use of any of the info.

 
At 10:28 am, Blogger The Momma / MrsHUGS said...

Hi Bugsy...
Thanks for doing me that favour in amongst all that was going on...
My fingers are crossed that this one its it...
I love people watching as well, know what I have been through, other people have to have been through stuff as well, most times things arent always rosie in life...
I hope you had fun meeting up with Sassy and that the night was informative but as Sassy said that you never have the reason to need the info...
I second what jen3 said newbornS would be great...

Take care...

By the way I now have a blog... hehehe...

MrsHUGS

 
At 7:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I really hope this one is it for you. You deserve to have this IUI work. You've got a lot of love to share with a new little person.

(P.S. waiting for you to post pictures of more knitting ...)

 
At 8:56 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Bugs. Dont worry about the amount of knitting getting done. We all have different lives with lots of different pressures. I get my knitting done at swimming lessons, killing time til I pick up the kids, etc....

By the way, I was browsing the DOC's website (trying to find info on kids rights for my stepkids) and they have lots of info and stuff about adoption and foster care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker