Monday, December 04, 2006

A look at how I do my injections

I thought I would give you a glimpse of how I do my injections, and record it for history as well. lol.

This is my equipment. On the left you can see the sharps bin (every trendy infertile has one - but I am on my second as I filled the first one). The blue case is the traveling case that the pen lives in - it has spaces for 3 needles and you can add your swabs as well. Very handy. In front of that you can see one needle in it's protective case, and the GonalF Pen, and an alcohol swab.

To do my injection, I lightly screw on the needle and remove the first protective cover. Then I "dial up" the amount of medication I am supposed to have (150iu) and pull out the white plunger button on the end.

The I remove the second protective cover on the needle, and tap gently to remove any air bubbles. (doesn't really matter as we are not injecting into a vein). I should get a drop of medication on the tip of the needle. If one isn't there I can very lightly touch the plunger button at the other end and a drop will appear. This is what the needle bit looks like:

Then I use the alcohol swab to clean an area of my belly. - under the belly button area but not directly under the belly button - for some reason that hurts. I pinch the skin a little and gently push the needle into my stomach fat (the only time I was happy to have some fat there). Once in, I press the plunger button until it won't push in any further.

I count to 5 or so, to make sure all the medication has gone where it should go to, then remove the needle. I replace the protective cap and unscrew it from the pen. The needle is then disposed of safely in the sharps bin.


I then usually just wipe the area again with the alcohol swap as there is sometimes a drop of medication or blood to wipe away.

No pain, no fuss.

Exciting huh!

4 Comments:

At 10:40 pm, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

It looks scary Bugsy! I hate needles!

 
At 7:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job, well done.

My sharps bin is different to yours lol

 
At 2:06 pm, Blogger Steff said...

That made me cringe - does it really NOT hurt - even just a little bit?

 
At 4:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is like, totally organised!

Our situation was: I squirm, Apeman fumbles, injecting needles and withdrawal needles got confused (eek!), saline water gets knocked over, I squirm and whine, Apeman grimaces.

Great documentary of the procedure! When this all goes well you will have to show your bubby what mommy had to go through. Especially handy during negotiations of pocket money. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker