Sunday, August 08, 2004

I survived!

I'm here - bruised, battered, but alive.

I went in for my Laparopscopy, hysteroscopy and hydratubation on the 5th (Thursday) and all went well. I was the first patient in, and the last one to recover and leave the hospital.

I woke up in recovery, and the nurse asked me if I had any pain, and I told her I did and the gave me a shot of pethidene and I went back to sleep. Later I woke up again, got asked the same question and I told her it was like bad period pain and before I knew it, more pethedine and goodnight everyone.

When I woke up again, I asked the nurse, "Did they find the switch?", my hubby heard and laughed. He knew I was okay from that point. Then I was back asleep.

Next time I woke, I heard my husbands voice - and I wanted to shout across the ward - "hi honey, I love you" but I don't think the words came out. (for a while I thought they had but hubby said that I didn't actually do it). So I laid there with a goofy smile on my face staring at my darling other half and willing him to stop his conversation with the nurse and turn around and come to me. Finally the nurse saw me and told him. He was then instantly by my side.

So how am I? The doctor rang hubby up after the Op and told him that everything was fine, no blockages or anything. I won't find out the real list of results until my appointment on the 19th August. Until then I have to wait and be patient.

I am really sore still. There were two incisions, one inside my belly button and one right on my bikini line. No stitches or anything.

It is Sunday, 3 days after the Op and I am still bleeding a bit. Both from the incisions and from um... down there. I hope that settles down soon. I also have a cloudy liquid slowly seeping from my belly button, so i hope I don't have a bad infection. It isn't red or anything, so here's hoping.

My throat is just starting to settle down. That little dangly thingy that hangs down the back of your throat? You know the one? Well it is super swollen and touching my tongue and driving me crazy. My throat itself is red raw and only the softest foods go down without hurting.

My appetite is non-existent. Hubby has had to be very inventive and con me into eating. I am happy not to eat anything, but he won't let me get away with that.

So I am still sore. It hurts to stand, to sit and to lay down. Apart from that, it is fine. Once I am in a comfortable position without putting pressure on my tummy, then things are okay for a while. Trouble is, I can't do anything when I am half laying down on the couch, or reclined in bed.

And I hate doing nothing.

But at least I am alive. I just hope they did find that switch.


At 10:01 am, Blogger Burnt Karma said...

Hey Bugsy, glad you survived the op.
The recovery is horribe - the sore throat is the worst. They stick a tube down there and it makes the whole throat inflamed and sore.

Love that pethidine eh? It's marvellous stuff!

Hope you're resting up and eating lots of ice cream and jelly.


Post a Comment

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker