Saturday, February 19, 2005

It's PCOS and it is here to stay!

Friday I went back to see Dr. Compassionate for the last of my test results.

He was so much better than he was previously. Where last time he was vague and appeared to have forgotten who I was entirely, this time he had obviously had time to do his pre-reading, because he knew all about me.

And he confirmed it - I have PCOS, positively, definately, no doubt about it. Although I don't have polycystic ovaries, my glucose tolerance is crap.

These were my results:

Fasting sugar level was 4.5 (should be between 4 and 6)<-this one was fine

an hour after taking glucose drink 9.2 (should be between 4 and 11) <- this one was fine

2 hours after taking glucose drink 8.9 (should be between 3 and 7) <- this one shows I am not processing sugars. It hardly changed.

He said what happens is that I am just extracting the nutrients I need to live, and everything else gets stored in fat cells - hence difficulty losing weight as I am not breaking down sugars.

Now I have to go see an endocronologist to discuss diabetes, as I am at high risk of getting that.

I started metformin last night. He wants me to see him again in a month. I am to try Metformin for 3 months on it's own - no clomid. He said if Metformin does the trick and helps me ovulate and regulate my cycle then clomid might end up working against me.

So - a big diet change is really in order. I am terrified of getting diabetes - I have to change my body now. I have to do it now before there is no turning back.

and so the changes begin.

2 Comments:

At 7:32 am, Blogger Lala said...

Sugars are a killer. I'd like to have that test but I am unexplained.

 
At 9:15 pm, Blogger BwcaBrownie said...

I have since 1993 fibromyalgia an allover constant pain condition resistant to painkillers. I had the blood sugar test which indicated borderline diabetes. while googling for answers I discovered a diet for hypoglycaemia which I followed and lost 20 kgs in 3 months. still have the pain though!
re babies: if you cannot change the situation, change your ATTITUDE TO the situation. write off the need for a child, and relax and concentrate on something else. You might be thrilled at the result.
Laverne and Shirley photo just lovely and it is evident that they were well cared for.
You appear to have a lovely husband and this is a rare and wonderful thing.cheers, HB

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker