Thursday, February 03, 2005

I'm back - minus a few litres of blood!

13dpo

I did another HPT this morning - another negative (no matter how hubby and I looked at it, or in what light etc it was still negative)

Dr Compassionate who has been great so far, was vague and annoying today. I won't rename him just yet, but he may become Dr Vague.

I got in there and he said "so what is happening?" and I said "well nothing, that is why I am here!"

He said "are you taking the clomid still?" I said "no you told me to stop it"

He said "have you ever considered the possibility that you might have PCOS?"

I looked at him blankly and said "You told me after the Op that I didn't have polycystic ovaries, but that you are positive I have PCOS"

He said "oh yes, that's right. Well you know PCOS combined with the endometriosis makes it really hard to conceive".

I started at him and said "After the Op when I asked you if you found any endometriosis you said "a tiny bit - not enough to worry about" - are you saying that there was something to worry about?"

He said "oh well even a little bit can affect fertility you know".

WHAT THE?

So then he says that we should do an u/s and when was my last pap smear etc.

We did an u/s and a pap smear and it hurt heaps. We could see some cysts on my ovaries but nothing too bad. We saw my uterus which he said looked fine (couldn't see anything in it).

So back to the office he goes (while I get dressed - I bled a tiny bit after the u/s but it stopped almost immediately).

He says well we should do a glucose tolerance test to see if you really do have PCOS, and Hubby should do another SA becuase it has been 2 years since he has done one.

I asked him if we might be pg now, and he said he couldn't rule that out. So we did a quantitative HCG blood test as well.

I said "what's next" and he said "well if you do have PCOS (grrrrr) then we should give metformin and clomid a go". I have tried clomid before but not combined with metformin.

I said "how long are we going to give that? Because quite honestly we have been trying for nearly 3 years now without success and it is putting a lot of strain on my marriage and I am not getting any younger. If this isn't going to give us a good chance then I don't want to be wasting more time with it, if we are likely to end up with IVF anyway"

He said "no - we won't be trying things for a year or anything. Let's do the tests, come see me again in two weeks, then if you do have PCOS, try metformin and clomid for 3 months and then we look at IVF"

I said "well that is the same sort of thing you told me after the Op in August - give it 2 months and come back and we will talk IVF"

he said "yes, but now we will try the metformin if we can determine that you really do have PCOS."

I don't know what to think.

So - I go to have the blood test and they say that if I do the glucose tolerance test today then I will be there two hours so I called Hubby up to tell him I would be a while and sat and did the 2 hour glucose tolerance test plus 5 freakin blood tests!!!!!!!

So with the fasting, the stress, the 300ml glucose drink, and taking all that blood I have felt crap all day since.

So - we will see my friends, we will see.

I call up tomorrow afternoon to see if the hcg test result is back. Until then I will just pretend that I am not pregnant so I don't get too upset when it comes back and says it is negative.

3 Comments:

At 12:28 am, Blogger Lala said...

Aaaarrrgh! His name should be Dr. "Have we met before because I don't remember you"
What a twit.
Sorrry hon.

 
At 6:50 am, Blogger DeadBug said...

Good-NESS, your doc is behaving like a twit. You must be frustrated beyond belief. Sometimes, it's like the doctors forget that they're dealing with people's actual lives instead of some science experiment. That it really MATTERS to the patients.

Hoping for a surprising positive tomorrow, making this whole thing moot anyway.

--Bugs

 
At 1:05 pm, Blogger Mari said...

Bugsy
That is not right, in the past I've known to switch doctors when i feel like I'm not getting the care and attention that I derserve and am paying for.
I was so angry reading your post, it sounded obvious that he either didn't remember you or got you mixed up with another patient. I know that these doctors see a lot of people. But when you walk in it is should be 100% attention on you and your problems. In my honest opinion.

I would leave and see someone else, but that is me!
My thoughts are with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker