Thursday, September 22, 2005

On Being Positive

I have been reading some interesting things about being positive; positive affirmations; etc and then today I came across this site .

She has some interesting things to say, but like all things, there is only so much I am willing to take in all at once. One section though really got me.

"Technique for using affirmations:
Many people tell me when they are using affirmations they have a difficult time believing them and getting results. In the back of their mind every time they say the affirmation they hear a voice rejecting the affirmation. I am going to use the affirmation "I love myself" as an example. When they say "I love myself" then they hear a voice saying 'no you don't', 'bologna', 'bulls---', 'who are you trying to kid' and so on with the negative chatter contradicting the positive affirmation.

I am going to teach you the best way that I have found to get affirmations to work quicker using the same affirmation and my name. When you find an affirmation you like always start with it using third person. So instead of saying "I love myself" say, "Cassandra loves herself". By putting the affirmation in third person you are taking some of the personalization out of it; resulting in less negative chatter. That part of your mind that gives out the negative chatter does not feel as tempted to respond because it has a sense that someone is talking about you, not you talking about you.

After a period of time, when you feel comfortable using the affirmation in third person change it to second person by saying, "Cassandra, you love yourself". Again, the negative chatter is less apt to respond because it thinks someone is talking to you.

Lastly, when you feel comfortable with second person then switch to first person, "I love myself". By this time the negative chatter is far more silent because it has heard it from what it thinks is outside you. " (from http://www.circle-of-light.com/Metaphysical/affirmations.html )


That's what I do. If I try to be positive and say "I am going to have a baby one day" I hear that little voice in the background saying "Yeahhhh riigght, sure you are" or "No you won't - you will never have a baby - you know you won't".

So it is interesting that she has a technique for getting past this inital stumbling block. I am going to try it.

I would love to hear from any of you that would like to try this with me. Post a comment telling me what your affirmation will be. (you can add "name" instead of your name if you like.)

I will go away and think about what my affirmations will be.

Let's make a difference in our lives.

Bugsy's warm and fuzzy: I have new blog friends popping up every day. Pull up a chair, stay for a while, and share a cuppa with me. I will even put out the good virtual china (hehe)

6 Comments:

At 12:49 pm, Blogger OvaGirl said...

That's a great concept Bugsy. Will try and report back.

 
At 4:58 pm, Blogger Betty said...

I've been focussing on my positive affimations for a while now. For example my password at school is now 'pregnantnow'. I do have that negative voice in the back of my mind so it's good to read the tips you shared.
A good book to read is YOU CAN HEAL YOUR LIFE written by Louise L Hay. She goes into the positive thinking stuff in quite a lot of detail.
I must read it again because I'm finding positive thinking really hard right now.
Thanks for the inspiration.

 
At 6:20 am, Blogger April said...

Hmmm. I've never been into this type of thing, always Ms. Pissypants am I. However, I'm willing to give it a shot.

April will be pregnant soon.

Eh. Maybe it's more believable with repetition. A nice thought anyway.

 
At 7:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning All...

Three cheers for Bugsy, you are certainly on the right path...
The book Betty mentions is very good...
Also if you look in some book stores you will see those small miniture books some of them are very good and handy just to have sitting in your bag...
Sending you all positive thoughts...

MrsHUGS

 
At 11:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is something to try. I'll do it!

Dooneybug will have a baby soon.

I'll let you know how it goes!

 
At 9:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - superwierd reading the affirmations - cos that is my name...
I do the computer password affiramtions like you betty - although mine are more general - newhorizons, new starts, happiness etc.
I've read getting a lucky bamboo plant in the bedroom, yellow lampshades and a picute with either angels, or two birds can help. I haven't got them yet, but I probably will eventually.seepi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker