Sunday, August 07, 2005

Knitting Rib discussion (for Muser)

Muser posted a comment on the last post about some assistance with knitting rib.

Muser said "I am a knitting beginner and I need some help. Any good websites you can give me that show me how to knit rib? I've been trying to K3P3 but I end up with these big loops hanging down so have frogged a simple beanie twice!"

So I thought we could have a bit of a discussion about knitting rib that might end up helping Muser (I hope). I didn't find any websites though in my little search that were any good.

I thought I would start (well that seems logical because I wrote this post LOL).

When I do rib, I found that before changing from knit to Purl or from purl to knit, I give my yarn a little tug before starting the next sequence (if that makes any sense). I also take note of how many knit stitches i have done or how many purl stitches I have done, and examine the knitted piece to ensure I counted correctly (yes I am pretty anal about it all, which is why it takes me so very long to knit anything). I find once you get into a rhythm it almost becomes second nature.

Does anyone else want to add anything extra that they do?

2 Comments:

At 1:31 pm, Blogger Mama Mouse said...

Nothing extra Bugsy ... but I also do that little tug when switching the yarn from the front to the back and vice versa. Its very important to watch what you are doing closely as it is easy to mess up the ribbing by doing a purl stitch when you should have been doing a knit stitch for example.

I prefer k3p3 ribbing ... k2kp2 is ok ... but k1p1 drives me right up a wall! LOL

 
At 3:42 pm, Blogger muser said...

o0o0o my own dedicated post. Thanks for your tips. It seems tugging the yarn was what I really needed to do. I did a smaller test piece and ahve got myself into a k3p3 rhythm now so I haven't miscounted this time. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker