Sunday, November 27, 2005

Hubb's 40th Birthday dinner

We had a lovely night last night. Hubbs loved it and he had a great time.

The food was fantastic, and everyone commented on it. We brought some nice wine and everyone loved that too.

He was very surprised when I gave him the badge to wear that said "It took me 40 years to look this good", but he was gobsmacked when I gave him the album I made up of all the photos. He hasn't seen some of those photos for 20 years. Everyone loved it too and had a good laugh at some of the photos.

Hubb's Dad even came which we were surprised about. He moved to Yarrawonga about a year ago, and didn't tell us. We found out when he sent us a Christmas card. They have never been close, and we never expected him to come. But he did, and he made Hubb's happy by telling him how proud he is of him, and asking for a photo of us together. Of course it cannot make up for the many many years of neglect from him. The man never remembered his sons birthdays or anything - Not since he left them when Hubbs was 8.

One thing that made me laugh - Mum in law gave Hubbs a photo frame with a big 40 on it and it came with a pen and everyone signed it- Hubb's dad is a Justice of the Peace, and he had to sign it with a little "JP" on the end. I know it is his official title, but did he need to put that on his son's photo frame??? I mean seriously.

When he arrived there were a few seats empty at the two tables we had, but as he was on his own, I suggested he sit next to me, where there was a single seat. It also meant he was on the same table as his son as well. The seat was also on the side of the table in front of a wall. All it meant was that if he wanted to get in or out, I had to move out to let him do so. Nothing major. I did hear him grumble though that he was "stuck at the back". oh well, you can't please everyone. If we had suggested he had sat anywhere else he would have complained that he wasn't given any importance and should be sitting with his son.

But he came and that was the main thing.

A few of us; my brother and his fiance, my sister and her fiance and Hubbs and I, stayed back to talk to the owner after the rest had left, and thanked them for everything. The owner hugged us both - he is so sad to have to close. He said he remembers us coming in the week before our wedding, and telling him that we were about to be married. He remembers us coming in so many times since, and he can't believe we have been married 4 years now.

He has taken our number and is going to keep in touch. If he starts another business, he is going to let us know. We will certainly miss them.

So it was a very successful night all round.

The restaurant's last day is Wednesday. Hubbs and I are going to take them some flowers and a card and wish them luck.

Hope you are all having a good weekend. If you have a moment, say a little prayer for Mrs Hugs and baby Ruben. Ruben has severe jaundice and has been readmitted to hospital. I know he will be okay, but it is a worrying time for all. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker