Friday, November 04, 2005

yesterday - all my troubles seemed so far away.....

Sorry to pinch a line from the Beatles, but yesterday was a doozy of a day.

I had 3 of my servers go down yesterday. One services all of Melbourne office, and it went belly up around 9am. One services all of our Sydney office - it went belly up around 11:30am and then around 5pm our webmail server also bit the dust. I did nothing yesterday except fix servers, investigate errors and explain to management what happened. Not a lot of fun really.

I was known to mumble "I wonder if Coles have any openings?" because some days the life of a check-out chick seems pretty darn good. If all I had to worry about was not being able to find a price on something, and whether they wanted a bag or not? I would be a happy camper (however I am sure the job is not that easy, but in comparison it does seem easier).

My patient coordinator called yesterday and I am booked in for next Thursday to meet with her and discuss my first OI cycle. She sounds lovely.

My day then got worse when I took the dogs to the vet, and our smaller dog Maddison got a faint positive on her heartworm test. (if it was a pregnancy test I would say it was a definate positive). I said to the vet "How could this happen? We were giving her monthly tablets until you suggested the yearly injection, and we went with that". and she asked "were there any times you were a week or so late giving her the tablet?" Um well Yes there were, hence why we opted for the yearly injection.

It appears that if she does have heartworm the times when we were a little late giving her her tablet may have left her completely open to the heartworm beast.

So more blood was taken and we will know by some time next week whether she is infected or not. The vet says that the tests are sometimes wrong, and she isn't exhibiting any signs of having heartworm other than the test, so if she does have it, the treatment won't be too bad for her.

Treatment consists of two injections over two days and then complete rest for a month - no exercise, no nothing. We may have to sedate her for a month if that is what we have to do. She runs constantly! I just don't see how we can stop her otherwise.

Sandy checked out fine which was good.

I am worried about Maddison though. It annoys me that we have been such good dog owners, and because we just forget a tablet for a week or so, our dog may be infected with something completely preventable. What about all these people who never immunise their dogs against anything and never have any problems? Grrrrrrr.

Reason #8 to be happy: "A thing of beauty is a joy forever: It's loveliness increases; It will never pass into nothingness." John Keats

2 Comments:

At 8:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Bugsy...
It does sound like you had one of those days at work yesterday, I hope they dont happen like that very often...
BTW I think you would get bored and frustrated being a Checkout Chick... hehehe...
I hope the tests on Maddie come back negative next week...
Wishing you a better day today...

ps... I do like reading the Reasons to be happy that you post...

MrsHUGS

 
At 2:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share your pain when it comes to servers. At least they all conspired in the morning rather than at 5pm forcing you to stay late or at 2am making you go into work. But still, it fucking sucks when they all decide to ruin your day. Damn them!

And yes, Coles does have vacancies now. They usually hire in November for the Christmas rush, but it is hard work if you actually do your job. And if you do the midweek night shift it's bloody boring.

It sounds like Madison is in good hands between you and your vet. I'm paranoid about worming out cats but I'm not sure it does much. I hope the next round of tests come back clear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker