Monday, October 17, 2005

The next step

Prof. Hope was in a very funny mood today. He grabbed a piece of paper and looked at me and said "Now sit still". Then he started drawing a rough sketch of the female form. He made out he was doing my portrait. He said "now this is you - all you need to get pregnant is for (1) adequate sperm in at the right time, (2) Ovulating well and in a good day and (3) the right hormones to support a pregnancy. You have all three, so you come under the "unexplained" umbrella of people".

He said we basically have three options:

1. Continue on as we are and cross our fingers
2. Try Ovulation Induction for a few cycles
3. Go straight to IVF (do not pass GO, do not collect $200).

His recommendation is to try Ovulation Induction for 2-3 cycles and then go to IVF. But he said he would happily set us up for IVF straight away.

He doesn't think that IUI would help (where they insert the sperm as close to Ovulation as they can). He said that although we only seem to get 2-3 babydancing sessions at a time, we time it perfectly every time, so he isn't too worried about that. He said that we have to stop stressing about it and stop getting worried about not doing it enough etc.

So we have decided to give Ovulation Induction a go. It is going to be tough. This is what Mari does so I will have a great person to guide me through the process - same clinic too. It involves me injecting myself every day with FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and blood tests twice a week. Closer to O I will have ultrasounds to see what the follicles are doing. Then I think there is a trigger shot (not exactly sure on that one), and then we babydance (if we can). Then more blood tests and ultrasounds (oh joy).

He did tell us that this process comes with a greater risk of twins than clomid does, but we don't care at all. He said not more than twins which is interesting.

So I have this cycle off. He told me I could do another clomid if I wanted to, but I am having a break. I need to prepare myself for the month ahead.

I have more blood tests to do now, and another baseline ultrasound and once that is done, he has to put the government forms in for us to be allowed the drugs, then I will get the scripts filled and contact my nurse (I have a nurse! hehe, I am so spoilt), who will monitor my cycle for me.

So as soon as AF has finished I will do the ultrasound and blood tests. I will try to organise this tomorrow. Then I need to try to discuss with work that I might be in late some days with going down to get the blood tests twice a week.

I think that is it. I am 2-3 months away from the scary IVF. Let's hope I don't need it.

Mari - tell me if I got any of this wrong. I am not sure I have it all right.

8 Comments:

At 11:03 pm, Blogger Jenn said...

Hi - I have never posted (visiting the Lesley's life blog and clicked your link). I went through ovulation induction as well - I did 2 Clomid Cycles with IUI and the 3rd cycle was on Gonal-f with IUI. I am now 5 months with twins.
The shots go into your stomach - but they aren't really bad at all (I had my husband do them) and I found that the injections gave me less side effects than the Clomid.
The only real concern (besides multiples of course) is Ovarian Hyperstimulation - which is kind of painful - I was lucky enough to get that - the only good thing about OHSS is that you get TONS of sonograms!!!

Good luck to you! I know it is scary (well, at least I was pretty scared).

Sorry if I rambled.

 
At 7:29 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Bugsy...
I am so glad to read that you got some positives out of yesterday visit with Professor Hope... Enjoy this cycle off and get ready for something different... All of us up here wish you tons of luck... We look forward to hearing wonderful news soon...

Jenn - congrats on being pg with TWINS, I know anyone that has struggled to fall pg would never knock back a multiple birth, enjoy life to the fullest...

MrsHUGS

 
At 7:47 am, Blogger April said...

Bugsy,

I'm also starting an ovulation induction cycle (mine with IUI). If you ever feel/want to chat about your protocol, free feel to drop by or email me.

April/Underwater Clown Conspiracy

 
At 8:22 am, Blogger Mari said...

Bugsy - yes you got it right, and it is not as bad is it all sounds.
The nurses at the clinic are fantastic and really nice. I know who your nurse will be (as we are seeing the same Dr) and she is really caring and very helpful.
I'm glad that you are taking a break from TTC even if for just one month.
Will be holding your cyber hand throughout your journey.

 
At 11:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great you've got a new plan and a helpful doctor. And lots of friends on the same page.

I really hope this works for you.

 
At 10:49 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Yay for a New Plan! New Plan equals new journey and new possibilities. Great news!

I'm very down on Clomid - I think its a great way to get you ovulating, but it never seems to get anyone pregnant.

 
At 9:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi i have just come across you blog im also doing ovulation inductions and its not to bad i did it once in feb 05 i also have pcos so they started me on low doses and after 29 days of injections i actually ovulated the first time in 10 years and would you believe i fell pregnant 1st go and found out 1 day before our wedding i had an uneventful pregnancy until 22 weeks until i went into labour and had our baby girl at 22 weeks she survived 22 minutes so now im back to ovulation induction its hard since im supposed to be still pregnant. so my first OI this time went terrible no pregnncy and no period who knows i have just started yesterday on my second round so hopefully i have luck this time as im staying so positive im on high doses so hopefully i ovulate a little earler this time and have success. Anyway good luck and i hope you have success soon, Sharon

 
At 8:29 am, Blogger Bugsy said...

Thanks guys, especially my new posters Jenn and Sharon. Jenn - wow twins - that is so wonderful - wishing you all the very best for the next few months. Sharon - I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your precious daughter. I can only imagine how tough this road is for you. I hope that together we can get through this - please stay with us and post again. Love to hear from you all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker