Saturday, May 27, 2006

Doggy dinners


(edited to add in a picture)

Here you go Seepi - this is what I make up for my dogs --> Doggy dinners

They love it and I struggle to give them anything else now. Our vet is happy too.

best of all - it certainly does work out cheaper. Here is the breakdown of costs

local butcher - pet mince (8kgs) - $4.80 ($1.20/2kg)<- shop around for quality at a good price
plain brand Frozen Mixed veggies (8kgs) - $12.72 ($1.59 / kg)
Rice/Pasta (1 cup of each) - ~$1

Total - $18.52

That feeds both my dogs for 2 weeks - which equates to 66 Cents a day per dog

Some times I vary it as well and add a few bacon stock cubes, some mixed herbs, vegemite, or stuff like that. Anything to alter the flavour a bit for them.

You can also reduce the veggie cost by keeping all your veggie scraps (carrot peelings etc), and adding that to the pet mince.

Hope that helps.

4 Comments:

At 10:11 am, Blogger Cathy said...

I will have to try making the dog food for Patches as buying prepared food can get a little expensive.

She has been on the Purina One challenge lately has it has really benefitted her but their food is a bit dear to buy all the time.

Your jumper is coming along quite nicely.

Cathy

 
At 4:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this!@
I will have to find somewhere good who does pet mince locally. I won't need as much as you though - we have a chihuahua and a pug cross, so 8kg would last them forever!
- I'll let you know how it goes down.
seepi.

 
At 4:10 pm, Blogger Bugsy said...

No problem - I guess I should have mentioned that I have a Golden Retriever and a Border Collie cross Jack Russell. A little different to a chihuahua and a pug cross lol - you definately won't need 8kgs of pet mince hehe.

Cathy - I thought about doing the purina one challenge but the cost stopped me dead in my tracks, even with the one off discount purina were offering.

 
At 9:42 am, Blogger The Momma / MrsHUGS said...

oh I so remember the days of cooking up dog food...
but not quite that much... hehehe...

so much better for the dogs...

lucky puppies to get such yummy food...

MrsHUGS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker