Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Darling Shirley, How I will miss you.

Tonight I came home to find that one of my chooks (chickens for you non-Aussies) has passed away. I called Hubby and then sat and had a good cry. She was such a good chook and very affectionate. When he came home, he dug a hole and we had a little funeral, putting Shirley to rest with a flower from the garden patch that she loved to scratch in.

Shirley was nearly 6 years old. I got Shirley and her sister Laverne when they were just 11 weeks old. They are both Australorp cross Rhode Island Reds and they were great chooks.

My girls have always been very friendly - allowing me to pick them up whenever I want and always coming when called. When I garden they help out by turning over the ground where I have just weeded.

Over the last 6 years they laid eggs nearly every day for about 3.5 years, and then every so often after that. Hubby and I agreed they would live out their days happy doing what they pleased. They would scratch around outside during the day under the watchful protective eyes of our dog, who loves them dearly.

RIP dear Shirley, you were a good girl and I thank you for being as good as what you were. I could not have asked for a better chook. We will certainly miss you heaps. Oh where did I leave the tissues?

Here is a photo of Laverne and Shirley. Please take a moment to pay your respects to my beautiful Shirley. The place will not the same without you, that is for sure.


Laverne (in front) and Shirley (in the back)

2 Comments:

At 1:49 am, Blogger Lala said...

That's sweet and sad. Sorry for your loss Bugsy

 
At 5:53 pm, Blogger Sara said...

Awwwww . . . that is too sad. I had ducks, Bugsy, so I know all about what it feels like when one passes away.

((((Hugs))))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker