Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Happy Anniversary

Today marked 5 years since I started working for this company. 5 long stressful years, most of which included being told the system I administer worldwide isn't very important (oh but watch hell break loose when it stops working).

We marked the occasion, my boss and I, by having a little chat about the future (or not) of my position.

Apparently there is quite a movement in the company to get rid of the system I administer. Such a movement in fact that my boss suggested that if an opportunity came my way, that I should consider taking it.

Tomorrow I have been asked to sit with a "sales dude" from the enemy camp, who wants to run some dodgy software on MY servers, which apparently will give him some magic number which indicates how complex our systems are. In effect, how difficult it would be to migrate everything over to the system he is trying to sell us.

It rather strikes me that this is like asking a car salesman to look at your current car and advise whether you should trade it in now, or hang on it it a bit longer.

I fully expect he will determine MY system is easy to migrate to their system, and the board will approve it's demise in record time. Of course, once they start implementing the change over all sorts of problems will arise, that, of course, could never have been foreseen.

I was told if this happens, I would be asked to hang around until the migration is well underway.

So my days are well and truly numbered at this company. Well, I am kinda okay with that. I don't like the company it is becoming. I don't think they are in control of the exponential growth that is occurring. I don't think they have any control over the millions of dollars being spent every single day. They have lots of fingers in lots of pies, and I think it is a matter of time before they get burnt.

But what do I want to do? Is it time for a huge career change? Now would be a perfect time to get pregnant wouldn't it.

Ah, life - just when you think things are going a particular way, it veers to the left and over a cliff.

5 Comments:

At 9:49 pm, Blogger Dr. J said...

Tough one. Sorry it´s all happening now. Hey I´ll be unemployed in 3 weeks - wanna come and hang out with me?

 
At 8:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bugsy...
They say things happen for a reason...
So you never now what can happen...
Sending you positive sticky vibes...

MrsHUGS

 
At 12:38 pm, Blogger Mari said...

Bugsy - you know that I've been thinking about changing jobs and there is also something holding me back to....the thought of possibily being pregnant. I gave myself till the end of this year and then if I was not pregnant to look for another job.
I'm sorry that this is happening to you....it sucks and such bad timing.

 
At 4:07 pm, Blogger Matthew Parslow said...

ouch - what a pain. If you're interested we're currently looking for a short term perl coder, though we really need someone sooner rather than later (though I don't expect anything will happen until january)

Hopefully you'll be pregnant and it won't be a problem!

 
At 5:02 pm, Blogger Bugsy said...

www thanks guys. I am not quite sure what I want to do. I have a Bachelor of Computing and worked in Network Admin for years, but for the last 8 years I have been administering Lotus Notes servers globally. So thank you, but I don't have Linux or Perl skills and quite frankly, I haven't done any training in like 5 years, so I am well out of practice with Network Admin stuff (unless anyone has a Banyan Vines server out there LOL)

Time for a review of careers I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker