Saturday, July 01, 2006

Baby Bugsy learns a trick

I bought a doppler off ebay when we were pregnant with Tukka, and a couple of weeks ago I got it out.

It says on the box that it can detect a fetal heartbeat from around 12 weeks onwards. Of course, for the last 3 weeks we have dutifully gotten it out of it's box and just tried it - you know, just in case. All we ever got was gurgles from my stomach and intestines no matter how much we tried - nothing at all like a heartbeat.

We tried it again today and after searching for a few minutes, about an inch below my belly button, very very faintly we could hear the very rhythmic pulse of what I am positive is baby's heartbeat. We have certainly never heard anything like this before when using the doppler (well except on my own heart, but that is much deeper and slower).

It wasn't quite enough to measure on the doppler screen but it was there, regular, rythmic, reassuring, audible on the speaker.

Smart little baby! Sure makes me happy to hear that I tell you. Even if it isn't the right thing - even if it is a main artery pulsing or something like that tricking me - if I am reassured anyhow, then that has to be a good thing.

But I am sure it is the right thing. The lady I bought it off said she was able to detect her baby's heartbeat from 9 weeks. and I am positive that was bub's heart beating away, making Mum very happy to hear it.

I have started knitting some cute little booties using varigated Merino Bambino wool. They are looking very cute so far. Hopefully they will look good when finished. Stay tuned for knitting updates.

6 Comments:

At 9:48 am, Blogger Cathy said...

What wonderful news.

It is really reassuring to be able to hear your bubs heartbeat.

I bet you are on top of the world at the moment.

Cathy

 
At 10:48 am, Blogger Unknown said...

OH MY GOD YOU'RE PREGNANT!!!!!

I have been very slack and not checked in on you for a while. AND YOU'RE PREGNANT.

Am going back to read all the stuff I missed.

YOU'RE BLOODY WELL PREGNANT!!!!

WOOHOO!!!!!

 
At 11:45 am, Blogger PJ said...

That's so awesome that you're able to hear it so early. It will provide much reassurance in moments of fear.

 
At 3:43 am, Blogger VHMPrincess said...

YAY! I found my baby's at 7w4d, so I'm sure you were able to find your little one's. Isn't it a great sound? I'm so happy for you!

 
At 5:36 pm, Blogger The Momma / MrsHUGS said...

aaawwww... Bugsy thats so wonderful for you...

We never got a doppler as we were on pretty regular ( fornightly or weekly visits ) Professor visits, but I do so much know I loved to hear that little tiny heart beat everytime we went... hehehe...

At some stage you should tape it for a keepsake...

Rest up...

MrsHUGS

 
At 11:03 pm, Blogger Cathy said...

I agree with Mrs Hugs about taping the heartbeat.

DH has just computerised DD's heartbeat from tape so that we don't lose it when the tape degrades.

DD is now 25 and has 3 children of her own.

The Grandson (9 yrs old) is really amazed that he can now listen to a recording of his mum's heart beat from before she was born.

Love and ((hugs))

Cathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker