Thursday, November 09, 2006

my brain hurts

I woke this morning to a pounding migraine. I grabbed some painkillers and went to work but it just got worse. By 10am I was losing vision in my right eye, and decided to call it quits and go home.

I slept for a few hours, took more painkillers and then slept again. I still have a bit of the migraine left, but it is definately better. Still feel like crap though.

Last night we went to an info session on IVF. It was very informative and put my mind at ease on a lot of things. Like how they did the egg collection. I knew it was horrid - that they put a needle through the vaginal wall into each ovary and drain out the fluid. The needle has to be reinserted for every follicle it is draining.

What I didn't know is that they put you under a very light general anesthetic, so you don't feel it. Thank goodness!

It also helped us start the conversation going between hubbs and I about the whole process (cause now he knows all that is involved), and whether we wanted to transfer back one or two embryos. I did laugh though when one of the guys in the room questioned the speaker when she said something about having to fast from midnight the night before for sperm collection. He was most relieved when she explained that was only for men who couldn't produce the sperm collection themselves and had to go to hospital to do it.

After she had explained all the things that happened to the woman in this process, hearing a guy worry about whether he had to fast for a few hours seemed pretty funny.

I also realised today it is 10 days until my Birthday. Can you believe in just 10 days I will be 36 years old.

omg.

6 Comments:

At 11:02 am, Blogger Lisa said...

Happy 10-days-to-your-birthday!

 
At 2:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I SO freaked over the vaginal wall puncture before my first IVF- but really, they put you under twilight anesthesia and give you some sort of amnesiatic drug and you don't feel or remember anything. I've been under that stuff and under full anesthesia, and actually I feel less disoriented after full anesthesia. You won't feel a thing!

Happy pre-birthday!

 
At 4:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need a holiday!

 
At 7:45 pm, Blogger Mony said...

If 40 is the new 30...then according to my calculations....36 is the new 26.
Right?

Hooray! You're YOUTHFUL! A SPRING CHICKEN! and so am I!!

 
At 10:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great that Hubbs has a better undertanding of it all too. I think it is important to get them involved as much as possible. Don't worry you really don't feel a thing just a bit uncomfortable after. Even with the transfer I found it less painful than IUI and my papsmears.

I am really excited for your Bugsy.
It will be all happening so soon.

 
At 1:20 am, Blogger Roxanne said...

I'm really psyched for you...about IVF...not the birthday....vaginal wall puncture and all. My mother always told me that it takes pain to be beautiful. (Must be why I'm still fat....) So maybe a little pain to get knocked up too?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

eXTReMe Tracker